“How do you become a cam model? Do you need any special equipment or have a certain look for it to work? How easy is it to get started and make that first paycheck?”
I had ALL of these questions when I was starting out camming years ago and this is what I’ve learned. Above all, if you’ve done your research, you’re already further ahead than an average camgirl, so read on!
MAKE SURE YOU:
- Pick the Right Site! There is a wide variety of camsites: some older and more established, some new ones just starting up, and they all feel and work differently. My recommendations are joining Chaturbate and Myfreecams. Chaturbate is the more “sexual” of the two and also allows men and couples to stream. They both have a 50%+ payout percentage and high traffic (Chaturbate more so than MFC). Check out this post for a full list of camsites to join!
- Have the Right Tools Ready! Being prepared ahead of time is key. Using your built-in webcam to stream is unfortunately not good enough. You need a good quality external webcam like a Logitech C920, which is my personal fave and is used by the majority of camgirls. Check out my post about the Top 3 webcams for camming for other great options. In terms of other tools, having great lighting is such a big part of the equation in looking good on cam, and looking your best will give you the best chance in tippers finding your room. You can see some of my lighting recommendation in this post. As well as having a webcam and a few umbrella lights, make sure your laptop can handle streaming and won’t die on you at the most inopportune moment. Make sure your internet connection is good as well!
- Consider your Boundaries. Camming is a risky job. You WILL be recorded and uploaded to various sites, including porn sites, and this increases your risk of being seen by your co-worker, neighbor, old highschool friend. The way to minimize the risk is to minimize your exposure, so make sure you block your location on the site. A service like CamModelProtection can help you remove your recorded content that makes its way online. Another consideration is how comfortable are you in your sexuality and can you be on a site doing sexual things? You don’t have to be a sex kitten, but you need to feel ok about being watched naked, masturbating, etc. A lot of girls love the thrill!
BENEFITS OF CAMMING
- Setting your own schedule
- No one there to tell you what to do
- Can easily ban anyone who is rude or demanding toward you
- Potential to make A LOT of money very quickly
- Being spoiled with gifts
Ok, so how do you REALLY become a full-fledged camgirl? What are the exact steps you should take?
No need to be anxious about trying out camming (a lot of guys actually really like a new, inexperienced girl!). Go through the steps below:
Sign up as a Model: Pick a site you’d like to try out (or 2! Nothing wrong with having options, and you get a chance to see what you like on each site). You’ll be asked to fill out your personal details and upload a photo ID to show that you are at least 18 years old. Approval time varies between sites, but you should get a notification in a day or two.
While you wait, make sure you’ve got some equipment ready that I’ve mentioned – an external webcam (I recommend Logitech C920), a set of umbrella lights (like the Limo Studio Umbrella Lights) and if you’d like – some cute lingerie and maybe a new toy or two. Pinkcherry (click below!) is a great place to get all those! Beyond that, you just need to bring your personality and a lot of patience. 🙂
Speaking of patience, you’re going to need to give yourself time to succeed on a site. Don’t think that just because you see top models making hundreds of dollars an hour that you will get there overnight. You need months and months of consistent camming to build up an audience and ‘regulars’, guys who will tune in to watch you every time you’re on. Consistency is key! This is one of the biggest pieces of advice I can give an aspiring cam model. Of course, a bit of luck is important too. Just because you have the looks, the personality and the work ethic, you will not automatically have success, but it you’ve done your research and have all the things ready before broadcasting you give yourself the best chance of success!
Once you get approved, this is a good time to create a Twitter and an Amazon wishlist, and add some graphics to your model profile. While Twitter and wishlist are not required, promoting yourself on social media is so important to get yourself new tippers, unless of course, you prefer to keep things on the down-low, in which case you can do a protected twitter. Some girls even keep a tumblr and other blogs. It’s all up to you, so do what feels right. A word of warning: Make sure you don’t put your real address on your Amazon wishlist and either use a PO box or don’t add it at all. Your profile doesn’t need to be complicated – add some information about yourself and put up some eye-catching pics.
You’re ready to broadcast!I know it can be nerve-wracking to press that Broadcast button for the first time, but you gotta jump in and experience it. Remember, you’re in control, and you can sign out at any point, for any reason. If anyone is making you uncomfortable or is being rude or demanding, don’t be afraid to ban them. Put on whatever will make you most comfortable, apply some nice makeup, if you wear it, and click that button! There is going to be a lot of learning going on in the first few months, and you’ll probably make a lot of mistakes, which all of us do, but practice makes perfect! When you’re on cam, my biggest tip is to smile! Yes, it’s so simple, but a lot of new girls don’t realize how unapproachable they look without a smile.
To get some conversation going, you can ask guys some small-talk general questions, or say something interesting about yourself and someone will jump into the conversation. Set your “room topic” to some sort of token countdown. For example, “Top off in 555! 50=Flash, 100=Fansign, 30=Spanks”. You are giving guys something to tip for and get them interacting. A dance and some teasing is a good way to get people in the room, I find. It’s a good idea to watch other models to see what they put in their topics and what kinds of countdowns work.
First cam shift is over! Pat yourself on the back. Now you can start thinking about what you may do the next time you’re on. It’s a good idea to offer tipping incentives for guys to tip offline, because it can boost your camscore on a site like MFC, and of course makes you more money. A very popular option these days is offering a Snapchat or an OnlyFans subscription on a monthly basis. If you can commit to sending out pics every day/a few times a week, it’s a good option. Another option is to make photosets and videos. I recommend setting up an account on Manyvids to sell them there. This is a great option to make that passive income! You can also do a raffle, which are really popular on MFC, and they can be for anything – a custom video, a Skype, homemade cookies shipped directly to the winner! (Be careful about not giving away your real address when doing this).
So, these are the basics to becoming a camgirl. Through trial and error you’ll know what works for you and what doesn’t, because everyone is different and there is room for all. 🙂 Good luck!